Warning: Illegal string offset 'name' in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 6570
Beware of Winfixer

Thread: Beware of Winfixer

Thanks

Default Beware of Winfixer

There is the new thing going around the web called "Winfixer". It's a pop up thing and will automatically pop up on your computer and install it self. It hard to get rid of. It’s the most annoying thing ever. It puts a bunch of pop-ups on you computer, when you try to search something, you click the link and it goes to another search engine. I had to restore my computer to get rid it because the help thing I found didn't help me to remove it. If you think you have it HERE is the help thing I found on web http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=404024.
    I don't know if it will work for you though. It's an awful program and people have reported it as well I haven't but I read where other people have.

Thanks

Thread moved to appropiate forum.
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

Last Few Song's I've Listened To

InterWebs!

Thanks

Download and use anti-spyware programs like Adaware and Spybot, because it's hard to get rid of spyware manually and you can mess up your computer if you delete something you shouldn't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla_
    Download and use anti-spyware programs like Adaware and Spybot, because it's hard to get rid of spyware manually and you can mess up your computer if you delete something you shouldn't.
    There are three very good anti-spyware programs that I would recommend.

MS Anti-Spyware
    Also has a tool for removing the Sony XCP root kit.

Spybot Search and Destroy

SpywareBlaster 3.4

AdAware SE is another good one but Spybot and MS Antispy do the job as well or better.

Spyware Blaster can be used in conjunction with Spybot to immunize your system against some threats, The best defense is to have a good anti virus program installed and updated and your operating system kept up to date.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    Einstein

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tony7914
    There are three very good anti-spyware programs that I would recommend.

MS Anti-Spyware
    Also has a tool for removing the Sony XCP root kit.

Spybot Search and Destroy

SpywareBlaster 3.4

AdAware SE is another good one but Spybot and MS Antispy do the job as well or better.

Spyware Blaster can be used in conjunction with Spybot to immunize your system against some threats, The best defense is to have a good anti virus program installed and updated and your operating system kept up to date.
    MS Antispyware is pretty crappy in my opinion. It tried to tell me that VNC (realvnc) was malicious software. Then only wanted to remove the registry entiries (which will really fuck up your pc). Found 2 reg entries and thats it. Ran adaware second, found 57 items. That sums it up for me.

I work at a small ISP, where I fix computers. Every machine we work on, leaves with AdAware on it. Spybot you do have to be careful with, it can/will remove registry entries that are needed. Their older versions were really, really, really bad about that.

Here, this is what M$ Antispyware used to do

Last edited by VampYre; 12-05-2005 at 12:29 AM.
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

InterWebs!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VampYre
    MS Antispyware is pretty crappy in my opinion. It tried to tell me that VNC (realvnc) was malicious software. Then only wanted to remove the registry entiries (which will really fuck up your pc). Found 2 reg entries and thats it. Ran adaware second, found 57 items. That sums it up for me.

I work at a small ISP, where I fix computers. Every machine we work on, leaves with AdAware on it. Spybot you do have to be careful with, it can/will remove registry entries that are needed. Their older versions were really, really, really bad about that.
    I can't say as I have had any problems with MS anti-spyware, have you tried the latest beta? I like Adaware but sometimes it misses things that spybot and others don't miss. I agree that you need to be carefull with anything that changes the registry, out of the freeware products available those three are what I recommend to people, but then that's just my opinion too. What are your views on some of the paid products? I like webroots spyware sweeper, its an easy to use program and does a good job without costing you a bunch.
    Last edited by tony7914; 12-04-2005 at 07:27 AM.
    Einstein

Thanks

I can't say as I have had any problems with MS anti-spyware, have you tried the latest beta? I like Adaware but sometimes it misses things that spybot and others don't miss. I agree that you need to be carefull with anything that changes the registry, out of the freeware products available those three are what I recommend to people, but then that's just my opinion too. What are your views on some of the paid products? I like webroots spyware sweeper, its an easy to use program and does a good job without costing you a bunch.
    Its amazing how many ppl have jumped on the ms antispyware band wagon. Wonder how many of those people, who are giving M$ free help with beta testing their software, will buy the software, when the retail version is released?

Generally, when software doesn't work as you hoped it would, you dump it, and don't bother to test and re-test it. Waste of time. I have my few select tools I use to fix machines, besides my brain. Why screw up a customer's machine, testing out software again and again? Some of the top sites that post about anti-spyware cleaning, have dropped M$'s antispyware program as something to use to clean your machine. It won't ever be installed on any of my personal computers. Not even to test for someone else. I will let them screw themselves first. Then I will clean it for them. As usual.

**edited as I had to leave earlier, and didnt have time to finish typing it up.
    Last edited by VampYre; 12-04-2005 at 05:43 PM.
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

InterWebs!

Thanks

Its amazing how many ppl have jumped on the ms antispyware band wagon. Wonder how many of those people, who are giving M$ free help with beta testing their software, will buy the software, when the retail version is released?

Generally, when software doesn't work as you hoped it would, you dump it, and don't bother to test and re-test it. Waste of time. I have my few select tools I use to fix machines, besides my brain. Why
    I remember reading the MS planed on leaving Anti-spyware a free program, it's possible they may reverse that decision but then who knows. I think the software does a good job, it was a good program when Giant owned it and MS has only done minor improvements on it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue with you but I like the software and have had good results with it on the machines I've looked at. What Anti-virus do you prefer? I'm using NOD32 currently, I like it because it does a good job and is not a resource hog.:)
    Einstein

Thanks

I use ad-aware, spybot s&d, just started using spysweeper and so far no problems, and hijack this. Betwixt those, i have very few problems.

Thanks

I remember reading the MS planed on leaving Anti-spyware a free program, it's possible they may reverse that decision but then who knows. I think the software does a good job, it was a good program when Giant owned it and MS has only done minor improvements on it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue with you but I like the software and have had good results with it on the machines I've looked at. What Anti-virus do you prefer? I'm using NOD32 currently, I like it because it does a good job and is not a resource hog.:)
    Last I saw, was paid software. Hook them on thinking they need it, then charge them for it. Would you expect anything else from MS? I tried it, didn't do much for me, adware ran 2nd and found more than it did. I will stick to what I think works best. Which is why we rock, everyone can have their own opinion.

For antivirus @ home on my main machine I run nav2003. On my laptop and other machine (gamer) AVG Free.

I haven't seen any working installs of nav06 yet though. 2 pcs in here with that issue, none ever worked. Nav needs to quit trying to play the antispyware game, and stick to antivirus.
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

InterWebs!

Thanks

Last I saw, was paid software. Hook them on thinking they need it, then charge them for it. Would you expect anything else from MS? I tried it, didn't do much for me, adware ran 2nd and found more than it did. I will stick to what I think works best. Which is why we rock, everyone can have their own opinion.

For antivirus @ home on my main machine I run nav2003. On my laptop and other machine (gamer) AVG Free.

I haven't seen any working installs of nav06 yet though. 2 pcs in here with that issue, none ever worked. Nav needs to quit trying to play the antispyware game, and stick to antivirus.
    I ran Nav since 2002, I think it does a good job but its a bear to remove completely. Earlier this year I switched to NOD32 because of the low resource use and its easier to remove if you need to, so far I've found it detects everything Nav does and runs faster as well, scan times are much faster. Most of the PC's I fix end up with AVG or Avast on them (people like them because they are free) I agree that Symantec needs to leave the anti spyware stuff out of its product, there's to much stuff in there as it is anymore. I've only had a look at the Nav06 beta, I didn't feel like testing it this time around.:)
    Einstein

Thanks

Generally, when software doesn't work as you hoped it would, you dump it, and don't bother to test and re-test it.
    That what I did with Internet Explorer 7 beta. It was good for a short time, then they did something so you can't go to your links that are on your favorites list that sucked. So I reinstalled Internet Explorer 6 again and it works just fine for me now. I probably will get friefox soon. I really just don't care anymore just as long as I have a Internet Browser. Anyways, Ad-Aware does not pick up they "Winfixer" thing (it didn't a long time ago at least). I just restored my computer, because I have everything backed-up and it went away. I didn't feel like wasting my money and waste my computer space on things.

Thread Information