Warning: Illegal string offset 'name' in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 6570
Slower computer + can't run ScanDisk/Defrag...

Thread: Slower computer + can't run ScanDisk/Defrag...

New Users

Thanks

Default Slower computer + can't run ScanDisk/Defrag...

Hullo Vamp,

I guess the subject line says it all -- basically I've noticed that my PC is a lot slower than usual, whether it's opening a media file (i.e. a video or just a playlist in WMP) or opening Microsoft Outlook (where we receive our clients' emails). Speaking of Outlook, is there any way to block those blasted junk emails about prescription drugs and stocks? The office email keeps receiving swarms of them.

Worse, though, is that while trying to run Defrag and ScanDisk this morning, I got the message in Scandisk that it has had to restart 10 times because something's been writing to it etc. etc. Defrag couldn't run either because there was an error or something. So, am a bit freaked out 'cause I don't want to lose my personal and clients' files (I know, I know -- who does?).

Despite the above though my comp still works -- for now. Thus, I'd be totally grateful for any useful comments / info on the above. If additional info is needed, do please let me know and I will provide it.

Many thanks and best regards,

// angela

Thanks

For controling spam check out www.spampal.com Fairly easy to setup/use within outlook or outlook express. Note it only filters the email to another folder, doesn't actually block it.

Scandisk is a pain and will do that. Just tell it to keep going. If you have your windows boot cd. You can try booting off the cd, going into the recovery mode option, then when you get to the command prompt, run this command chkdsk /p this will check your hard drive for problems.

Also, in windows you can try running SFC (start, click on run, type sfc /scannow) Note you will also need the system cd for this as well.

Hopefully you have already scanned for viruses & spyware before doing the above steps.
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

Last Few Song's I've Listened To

InterWebs!

Thanks

Sounds like it's time to make some backup disks.

Thread Information