Warning: Illegal string offset 'name' in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 6570
A Head's Up Windows XP Updates
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Head's Up Windows XP Updates

Thanks

Exclamation A Head's Up Windows XP Updates

Not sure if you all got this update for Windows XP yet but I got it last night for me girl and well it cuts off the internet
    Security Update for Windows XP(KB951748)
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2008(KB890830)

Now before you all jump and say this and that, this is what I did.
    Installed it and rebooted as asked, once rebooted went online and not internet connection. So I did the basic clean up of cookies, temp files, etc. and still nothing, then unplugged my router/modem(their built in together) to clean the cache and still nothing. After talking with my father(20+ years in programing and internet security) he had this to say, "they fucked you"(which is not the first time either). I am assuming that Microsoft is doing this as a means to get ppl to switch to Vista or the new Windows(coming soon). Anyways after all this a simple restore, yes that is right:) And everything was fine, now he is the bone-head moment of 2008, 4 hours later I got the same updates and yep installed them again(I know laugh) so I just restored and everything was good. This afternoon my father did his update and the same thing happened. I have 4 other ppl this happened too, so I think all XP users should watch out. If someone does intall these 2 updates with success please tell me becuase I do believe that this is against the law.
    "I Shall Take Your Soul"

Thanks

Dude i think i've installed those updates 2 days ago, and i still can access the internet. One thing i didnt do like you, i shut down straight after the update, didnt reboot. Woah. Didn't know Microsoft would do such a thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Dude i think i've installed those updates 2 days ago, and i still can access the internet. One thing i didnt do like you, i shut down straight after the update, didnt reboot. Woah. Didn't know Microsoft would do such a thing.
    Hmm, is there a reminder for you to reboot by you clock? And why wouldn't they? It is what $300 for Vista? $90 for XP and free for anything under 98 even tho there are no updates for anything under 98, even tho Microsoft is thinking of discontinuing everything under Vista(hear it from PC.com or PC Magazine.com
    Last edited by Draven; 07-10-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: was a dumbass and hit the wrong button
    "I Shall Take Your Soul"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    Hmm, is there a reminder for you to reboot by you clock? And why wouldn't they? It is what $300 for Vista? $90 for XP and free for anything under 98 even tho there are no updates for anything under 98, even tho Microsoft is thinking of discontinuing everything under Vista(hear it from PC.com or PC Magazine.com
    Nah i did not let them install the updates automatically, I installed them when i was shutting down so yeah, no irritating prompts every 10-20mins or so. That sucks, as I have no intention to switch to Windows Vista anytime soon. Too many problems.

Thanks

Nah i did not let them install the updates automatically, I installed them when i was shutting down so yeah, no irritating prompts every 10-20mins or so. That sucks, as I have no intention to switch to Windows Vista anytime soon. Too many problems.
    Come to Linux(picture a drug pusher with candy) Screw Windows altogether
    "I Shall Take Your Soul"

Thanks

Come to Linux(picture a drug pusher with candy) Screw Windows altogether
    Haha. Maybe in the near future. Im okay with XP now. Just hope that Microsoft don't withdraw support for it soon.

Thanks

Haha. Maybe in the near future. Im okay with XP now. Just hope that Microsoft don't withdraw support for it soon.

I believe they(Microsoft) says everything under Vista shall be gone by 2010, now don't quote me, as I am always wrong with dates I do know they are working on a newer Windows(I am hoping it is Longhorn, I know they scraped it and gave Vista) but either way they are losing ppl to Linux everyday with their bullshit antics
    "I Shall Take Your Soul"

Thanks

I believe they(Microsoft) says everything under Vista shall be gone by 2010, now don't quote me, as I am always wrong with dates I do know they are working on a newer Windows(I am hoping it is Longhorn, I know they scraped it and gave Vista) but either way they are losing ppl to Linux everyday with their bullshit antics
    Yeah i hope Vista will be stable by 2010, as im sure i will be getting Vista sooner or later. About Linux, i haven't got the time to run it on a virtual desktop yet, as VampYre recommended. Do u use RedHat or Ubuntu?

Thanks

Why do people even do xp updates when they come out? Just wait a few months til you have about 30-40 to do...

I never update. When I had 2k pro, I didn't update for over 6 months. Until about a month ago, I hadn't updated my laptop (xp mce05) in over 10 months. Nothing terrible befell any of my machines. My gamer box is still running sp2...hasnt had updates since sp2...guess what? No problems with it...oh wait...I do have a router...hmmm...
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

Last Few Song's I've Listened To

InterWebs!

Thanks

Well.. Everyone tends to update when they see the prompt. You never know what's gonna happen if you don't update. Maybe MS has just found a large loophole in XP? Anyways i create a restore point before every update so i can revert the update if it goes wrong.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VampYre View Post
    Why do people even do xp updates when they come out? Just wait a few months til you have about 30-40 to do...

I never update. When I had 2k pro, I didn't update for over 6 months. Until about a month ago, I hadn't updated my laptop (xp mce05) in over 10 months. Nothing terrible befell any of my machines. My gamer box is still running sp2...hasnt had updates since sp2...guess what? No problems with it...oh wait...I do have a router...hmmm...
    Couldn't agree more with this. My girl is not that computer savvy so she freaks when the lil yellow shield comes up. What am I suppose to do? I hate sleeping on the couch Besides crash you said it shall be stable by 2010, well the new Windows OS shall be out before then and it is the same. Make, patch, patch(about 100 x) then one more patch and then repeat but with a new name. Has Windows even changed? Not really the real only change is the look and feel. I say by 2013 everyone shall be on some sort of Linux OS so I am not worried.
    "I Shall Take Your Soul"

Thanks

Besides crash you said it shall be stable by 2010, well the new Windows OS shall be out before then and it is the same. Make, patch, patch(about 100 x) then one more patch and then repeat but with a new name. Has Windows even changed? Not really the real only change is the look and feel. I say by 2013 everyone shall be on some sort of Linux OS so I am not worried.
    Yeah. True. Actually i think Vista has 'taken' the looks of their OS from Mac (Big icons that become even bigger when the cursor is over it). I also think that Microsoft should drop their 'Windows' branding and come out with a totally new OS like Microsoft something, instead of Windows something.

Thanks

Yeah. True. Actually i think Vista has 'taken' the looks of their OS from Mac (Big icons that become even bigger when the cursor is over it). I also think that Microsoft should drop their 'Windows' branding and come out with a totally new OS like Microsoft something, instead of Windows something.
    They have:) But it is 5-6 yrs behind, I had the Vista look back when I got my first pc(OS was Linux) and yeah Microsoft should have a new name like "Buy me dummy so I can bleed you dry with add-ons and useless programs" or simply Ubuydumb 1.0

Just think of Windows and Linux as VHS and Beta tapes, VHS was promoted and marketed well and beta wasn't but Beta tapes are better and last longer than VHS. Ol' Billy just marketed Windumbs so well it took off and ppl didn't want Linux, some even don't know that another OS exist. Linux is not that easy to use(like installed programs don't just get added to your start-up and files aren't really labeled like windows so it looks hard but looks are not all what they are cracked up to be.
    "I Shall Take Your Soul"

Thanks

They have:) But it is 5-6 yrs behind, I had the Vista look back when I got my first pc(OS was Linux) and yeah Microsoft should have a new name like "Buy me dummy so I can bleed you dry with add-ons and useless programs" or simply Ubuydumb 1.0

Just think of Windows and Linux as VHS and Beta tapes, VHS was promoted and marketed well and beta wasn't but Beta tapes are better and last longer than VHS. Ol' Billy just marketed Windumbs so well it took off and ppl didn't want Linux, some even don't know that another OS exist. Linux is not that easy to use(like installed programs don't just get added to your start-up and files aren't really labeled like windows so it looks hard but looks are not all what they are cracked up to be.
    Well. Its not easy for majority of the computer using world to make a change from Windows. They would stick to Windows unless something really huge happens, like if Microsoft became bankrupt.

Thanks

Well. Its not easy for majority of the computer using world to make a change from Windows. They would stick to Windows unless something really huge happens, like if Microsoft became bankrupt.
    "Microsoft became bankrupt" now that would be sweet!!! Wait, I am aloud to say this right?(didn't see nothing in the rules) But yeah I hear ya but I don't agree. A Few courses or even National Linux day should do the trick
    "I Shall Take Your Soul"

Thread Information