Warning: Illegal string offset 'name' in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 6570
Website's Future - Read
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website's Future - Read

Thanks

Exclamation Website's Future - Read

Okay folks, this is what it is. Website is $164 a month. I can't keep paying for it all. I'm going to be buying a house sometime this summer or late summer. When I do, someone else will either have to take over ownership of the webserver, or its going away. Morgage payment will be a bit more important than the vp server. I can put up to $50 a month into the pot for something, but thats it.

So, consider this an official warning / heads up. If you need to leech the dump for the old stuff, I highly suggest you do it now.

On that subject I scaled back the xdcc bot as well, worked out a deal so it can stay, but for just one or two files using not much bandwidth. Mainly just the help file.

The seedbox will remain for now, as its being funded by another source currently.
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

Last Few Song's I've Listened To

InterWebs!

Thanks

Damn, I'm still in the hole a little from moving down here almost a year ago... Its coming round soon though, but I can help some in a few months... I can't afford to take on the whole thing but I really don't want to see it go away.

Thanks

Did you have a look at advertising options Vamp and what $ it would generate ?
    Let the blood flow that keeps me alive
    (...)
    I need music
    I need music
    I need music to set me free

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Serch View Post
    Did you have a look at advertising options Vamp and what $ it would generate ?
    What advertisting options? adbrite (current thing we have) makes nearly nothing.
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

InterWebs!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VampYre View Post
    What advertisting options? adbrite (current thing we have) makes nearly nothing.
    Just wanted to know, would it be possible to put more ads on the website (more than one)? Such as google ads, etc.

Thanks

Cannot use google adsense on the site. According to google (as well as many sites that do ads) we have "questionable content" on our site.
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

InterWebs!

Thanks

Starting to look for a house with a new realtor. Found one about a mile from where I live now, has almost all I want, just missing walk out basement. Even has a pool. Not going to get it though. I'm sure I will be able to find something though.

As for the site/dump. Anyone have any bright ideas? Something cheap? Thinking now, we will just cease http downloads (unless someone wants to donate some space/bandwidth) and just have the website, the forums, IRC, & torrents via seedbox. This would mean no dump. If anything, I'd just run a private fserve in the main chat for the current month's videos until the monthly torrent went up, then only the current videos.

Ideas folks, need them. Otherwise, this is the future of VP.
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

InterWebs!

Thanks

Just did a google, thought this looked good for its pricing http://www.inmotionhosting.com/ (Business Class Hosting). Anyhow, here's a list of the top rated hosting services http://webhostinggeeks.com/ . Hope it helped.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Just did a google, thought this looked good for its pricing http://www.inmotionhosting.com/ (Business Class Hosting). Anyhow, here's a list of the top rated hosting services http://webhostinggeeks.com/ . Hope it helped.
    Not really. When was the last time you saw a unlimited GB hard drive? There are space constraints no matter where you go. Some folks actually list it, while others done. I normally use webhostingtalk.com when looking for a new host.

I was asking to see if someone is using a host where we can move to, or a solid idea (used their services or know someone who has) that will work. Currently the dump uses multiple hard drives, totaling over 1 TB of space, a good 600 GB of that is videos.

For what we do, FDC is basically just about the best bet. Just comes down to money. No one ever wants to pay for anything. That is the problem. We can either start having "dues" for dump access, or such. Or just not have dump at all. Looks like the latter.
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

InterWebs!

Thanks

Still looking for ideas...I simply cannot keep spending $164 a month on something I really see no personal return on. If I cannot get a solid answer by end of June then I project end of July as end of VP website & dump...

If that happens, will prolly just get something like a cheap godaddy account to host the website, and focus on videos via torrent and IRC only. New videos will distro via someone's fserve or home ftp privately in the vp-chat channel and the main dump will be completely gone. Access to old videos will rely on other users solely.
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

InterWebs!

Thanks

Would it be worth letting the users know that we will shut down the site if we can't get some way to cover the costs. Just thought it would be a good idea if anyone could brainstorm some solutions or help out if they knew it was coming to an end.
    Videopimp Ripper
    bensta@videopimp.org

Thanks

Not sure that I want to repost the paypal link, last time Phil got a ton of fraudulant donations ranging from $20 to $2000. When paypal takes the money back, they take some of your cash too! Overall, I think the account was frozen with about $600 of legit donations in it.

I really don't want to deal with that kind of crap. Urgh!
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

InterWebs!

Thanks

Another video team puts all their vids on an FTP dump and users have to pay monthly access fees to get accounts set-up so they can get on there (covers the cost of running it I guess). Perhaps an idea?

I would prefer to keep a dump for access to ALL the vids (not that I can access that atm anyway), so maybe get rid of the HTTP downloads? If people really want the vids they'll either use IRC, seed the torrents, or pay to get to the clips.
    I Didn't Say It Was Your Fault, I Said I Was Going To Blame You.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chooks View Post
    Another video team puts all their vids on an FTP dump and users have to pay monthly access fees to get accounts set-up so they can get on there (covers the cost of running it I guess). Perhaps an idea?

I would prefer to keep a dump for access to ALL the vids (not that I can access that atm anyway), so maybe get rid of the HTTP downloads? If people really want the vids they'll either use IRC, seed the torrents, or pay to get to the clips.
    The webserver & dump is one machine. Dump access only applies to videopimp members, but if I quit paying for it, both the dump (vp members) and the website (ie http downloads) will go away.

Any idea what this other "video team's" monthly access fee is for their dump/video archive ?

I'd rather not go the pay route, but currently I'm outta options, only a few months left to figure out what to do, or simple go to a site that just has the release list on it, some torrents, and maybe (depending on where we host) 1 video a month, or maybe one a week on http.

Sucks to get to this point, but I really have no clue what else to do without droppin $164 a month of my own money on this (which I've done for far too long)
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

InterWebs!

Thanks

via what someone posted on the VP Facebook Fan page (click on link at bottom of page to find it)

Jaime Rodrigo Riquelme Donoso so are you talking about going down with the website? are you think about the idea to ad a widget with advertisement like pay per click button that lock the main page and unlock when the visitor see one of the advertisement set and give you money for each visit.... so think about it maybe you can keep the website this way i think
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

InterWebs!

Thread Information