Warning: Illegal string offset 'name' in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 6570
Server Going Down For A Few Days or Till Beginning of January

Thread: Server Going Down For A Few Days or Till Beginning of January

Wannabe

Thanks

Default Server Going Down For A Few Days or Till Beginning of January

Just got this 2nd e-mail from my ISP and my dad wants me to shut the server down till our bandwidth resets on JAn 1st... so I need to shut it down till it resets... or I may start it back up a bit earlier, gonna talk to a buddy of mine who has got a lot of these notices and see if any actions have been taken against him... last thing I want is my cable to get cut off.

-VP|Cdn

Monthly combined bandwidth limit: 15360 MB
    Current month's bandwidth used to date (MB)
    Upstream1: 64718
    Downstream2: 58541

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: [Incident: #107207] 2nd Bandwidth Warning
    Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 02:02:59 -0500

Hi Again

As per our previous message below, Cogeco's monitoring system has detected excess
    bandwidth utilization. We continue to see excess bandwidth utilization, to avoid any
    possible interruption to your service, please mitigate your network utilization for
    the remainder of the calendar month and respond to this message within 24 hours.

Regards

Cogeco Network Security
    http://www.cogeco.com/aup
    security@cogeco.net
    1-888-558-2233

----- Original Message -----
    Subject: [Incident: #] 1st Bandwidth Warning

Hi

You are receiving this message as Cogeco's monitoring system has detected excess
    bandwidth utilization coming to/from your system. It is possible that your system has
    been compromised, unbeknownst to you, with a virus, trojan, etc that is allowing a
    remote entity to utilize your system resources. Alternate explanations for this
    traffic could be peer-to-peer programs such as Kazaa, Edonkey, BitTorrent, etc.

Bandwidth is the term used to describe the amount of data being transferred to or
    from a particular web site, web server, etc. It is typically measured in some
    multiple of bits or bytes over a specified period of time, such as a second or a
    month. For example, it takes more bandwidth to transfer a 3D graphic image in one
    second than it does to transfer a 2-line email message in the same amount of time.

COGECO monitors the amount of traffic to and from all modems to identify excess usage
    patterns that cause harm to the COGECO network and it's subscribers. Current limits
    can be found in the 'Bandwidth, Data Storage and Other Limitations' section of
    Cogeco's Acceptable Use Policy which is located at http://www.cogeco.com/aup

To view your bandwidth usage please visit Cogeco's SelfCare site at
    https://selfcare.cogeco.com/ and login with your primary email account and password.
    If you are experiencing problems or require a password to be reset please contact
    Cogeco's 24-hour technical support at 1-866-879-7179. PLEASE NOTE THAT COGECO WILL
    NOT ACCEPT EMAIL REQUESTS FOR PASSWORD RETRIEVAL OR MODIFICATION.

It is also possible that your system has been compromised, unbeknownst to you, with a
    virus, trojan, etc so we request that you scan you system with an up to date virus
    scanner, (for example: Cogeco Security Services). If you do not have access to an up
    to date virus scanner you may be interested in Cogeco's Security Services, these
    services are free for Standard and Pro customers and $2/mo for Lite subscribers, to
    learn more about these services and how to activate visit
    http://www.cogeco.com/security

If you are unable to contain and/or investigate this threat immediately we request
    you temporarily disconnect your system from the internet until you are able to
    further investigate. To disconnect your system from the internet you can,

-power down the Cogeco provided modem
    -physically unplug your system
    -remove the ethernet cable (looks like an oversized phone cable) that connects your
    system to the Cogeco provided modem.

Any of these techniques will ensure that your system is not attempting unauthorized
    communications with any other remote system.

To prevent any possible interruption in service we require a follow up email within
    24 hours and a quick note regarding the incident, ie: what virus you found, alternate
    reasons for these queries, what actions you are taking to prevent further incidents,
    etc.

***Remember that virus scanners need to be updated with new virus signature files on
    a regular basis and Windows machines need to be updated on a regular basis.***

If you have any questions and/or concerns do not hesitate to contact us via the
    address below or simply click REPLY leaving the subject line intact so we can respond
    quickly.

Regards

Cogeco Network Security
    http://www.cogeco.com/security
    security@cogeco.net
    1-888-558-2233
    Last edited by canadian4evr; 12-19-2005 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks

I really don't get why they give people killer speeds, then attempt to cap your ass at such a shitty overall bandwidth limit. (15 gigs for those of you that noticed)

I do more than that traffic a month surfing, working on my own (personal) websites, email, basic use.
    - VampYre
    - Videopimp Owner
    - Forums Owner/Admin

Last Few Song's I've Listened To

InterWebs!

Wannabe

Thanks

So last night cogeco cut off our internet access COMPLETELY. Could only access one page stating that our account had been suspended and that we were in violation of their terms of service! Fucking morons, I called them and they told me that our computer was sending out unsolicited e-mails... that was the reason for the high useage and why they suspended our internet. Fuck if we didn't hate sympaticco so much we'd switch over to them... but they are the only other company in the city that provides high speed internet... may be unlimited bandwidth but its capped at 120kb/s down and less than 15kb/s up. I'll just have to limit the server to only serve during off peak hours... perhaps that will keep me off their radar.

Wannabe

Thanks

Server back up and running... have it set to only run from 7PM-7AM, off-peak hours so my ISP won't complain

Thread Information